Traffic safety has been a concern around KELSET Elementary School since it first opened in 2008. Over the years, there have been several concerns expressed by both the school community and local residents about traffic safety and parking challenges in the vicinity of KELSET Elementary School. In the spring of 2020, School District 63 sent a letter to the District of North Saanich Council requesting safety improvements and/or traffic calming in front of the school on Forest Park Drive. More recently, Council received a resident petition from residents on Haro Park Terrace requesting traffic calming.
Based on these historic and current concerns, the District retained WATT Consulting Group to undertake the first comprehensive study to quantify and substantiate the traffic safety and parking challenges in the vicinity of KELSET Elementary School. The objectives of this study are to:
- Address safety concerns on Forest Park Drive along the KELSET school frontage,
particularly the operation of the intersection of Forest Park Drive, Haro Park
Terrace, and the school driveway.
- Consult with residents and the school to obtain feedback on the perception of the
key issues and concerns around traffic safety at the school.
- Consult with key stakeholders in the area to obtain feedback on the perception of
the key issues and concerns around traffic safety at the school.
- Present options for operational or engineering solutions to issues that are identified.
- Evaluate the impact of a new potential library at Panorama Recreation on the
traffic conditions of Forest Park Drive.
Download the full Report here: